Shep and I are just getting back from an extremely wonderful and relaxing weekend up at the farm in Maryland. For those that are curious, we are ready to announce that we will be getting married up there on June 7, 2014!!! I am seriously beside myself with excitement….while kind of terrified on the inside that I am going to forget some huge detail. The good news is that neither of us has any grandiose expectations of the way the wedding “should” go. Basically as long as we are both there and say “I do,” we will consider the day a win!
In other news, we have found another form of exercise to occupy the rare moments of spare time that we DO have 🙂 Last weekend we went to a new spinning class called Tidal Wheel, and it was fantastic. It basically was a spinning class plus weights and upper body (with a side of dancing!!). The only downside for me was that my vertigo acted up while standing up and doing push-ups while pedaling a bike. Who knew?! Plus, Shep might have been a tiny bit sore in the arms (understatement of the century) after class. So we tried out a regular spinning class, and instantly knew we had to keep going. Those classes are awesome, and how we both lived such an active life for so long without trying one out is beyond me.
Okay, I will stop getting off topic now. I am sharing a recipe today for our hands-down most favorite banana pancakes. Prior to going Paleo, I liked pancakes alright I guess. Once I tried these, I knew instantly that I would be making them too often. They are glorious little circles of perfection that I just for the life of me cannot seem to flip without messing up. Anyway, the first time we made them, we used the recipe from Fast Paleo that worked out very well. I have made several tweeks along the way, and below you will find my version of these little beauties!
Blueberry Macadamia Nut Banana Pancakes
Ingredients for the pancake base:
Raw Honey (1 T) (Or you may sub maple syrup)
Ground Cinnamon (1 t)
Pure Vanilla Extract (a dash)
Coconut Flour (2 T)
Coconut Oil (3 T) for the pan
Blueberries (1/2 cup)**
Macadamia Nuts (1/4 cup)**
**You don’t want blueberries and macadamia nuts? No worries!!! Just make the base, or try some of these optional add ins instead:
Strawberries, Pecans, Walnuts, Chocolate Chips (Enjoy LIfe Chocolate Chips if you are Paleo and/or have food allergies), melted Almond Butter, etc. Really whatever you want to try out! I can’t wait to make maple bacon pancakes….just need to convince Shep that they might even be better than these saucy little minxes!
1. Mash up your banana. If it is nice and soft, feel free to use a fork, or you may use a food processor. Either way, leave a few chunks because it adds to the flavor.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk 3 eggs.
3. Open the Coconut Flour and take a big whiff. I seriously love the smell of coconut flour! (maybe sneak a smell before you put it away also…)
4. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir (excluding the coconut oil)
5. Let the mixture sit for 5+ minutes so the dough may set.
6. Turn on your skillet to medium to medium/high heat and melt some of the coconut oil in the pan.
7. Pour out a dollop of the mixture to make a pancake.
8. Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes. As they talk about over on the Fast Paleo site, be patient before you flip them! They will bubble a little bit starting about 2 minutes in, but wait until the sides look “pancake-like” before you actually flip them.
9. Repeat until all batter is cooked. This recipe will make 6 pancakes.